Labels

anger (1) anxiety (1) diet (1) EMOTIONS (3) entitlement (1) fatigue (1) fitness (1) grandparents (1) grief (1) HEALTH (1) JOB (1)

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

In the Beginning

Mornings like this I am acutely aware that I am not psychologically prepared to be a Dad. This is, of course, a shame because I have a 4 month old daughter. For me, having a kid seems to have ripped asunder my ability to bluff. I've spent a lot of my life pushing envelopes, gambling and taking risks.... all on the premise that I can handle the consequences. What I am feeling now is that all of this risk appetite was served in an absence of proper risk assessment. All of a sudden, the stakes are higher and I'm feeling like what I really need to do is get things right as opposed to push my luck. But when you've been bluffing for as long as I have, this is much easier said than done.

I'm spending a lot of time examining my own patterns out fear of a systemic flaw in how I go about living. The potential catastrophe that continuing on in the same old manner might cause has me re-examining my entire life to date - successes, failures, ethically questionable decisions (and worse). And I don't particularly like what I am seeing.

Somehow, I fantasize, if I had known that these days of reckoning were coming, I would have straightened up and flown right more often. I would have taken less risks, taken on less debt, treated people differently, shown more integrity under duress, etc., etc. In short, I would have been somebody else.... a better somebody else. These are the thoughts I have as I wake from a relatively sleepless night and push myself onto the train in the morning to go meet my day.

I know its out of balance. After all, I've got a good job, I've got the respect of at least some of my peers, I've got a decent financial plan, even if my income to debt ratio doesn't raise comparisons to Warren Buffet. I'm a work in progress, and I am progressing. But that doesn't stop me from waking up in the morning with a feeling in the pit of my stomach that I've created something of a monster and that monster is now coming after me and the ones I love the most. How to undo the past?

No comments:

Post a Comment